Industrial Engineering / Operations Consulting
Workplace ergonomics is the science of designing the workplace, keeping in mind the capabilities and limitations of the worker. A workplace ergonomics improvement process removes risk factors that lead to musculoskeletal injuries and allows for improved human performance and productivity.
Ergonomics Simulation provides the user the ability to analyze virtual products or manual tasks within a virtual environment. Using software like Tecnomatix Jack and Process Simulate Human, injury risk, user comfort, reachability, energy expenditure, fatigue limits and other important human parameters are all measurable.
Ergonomic tools such as Tecnomatix Jack software create a virtual representation of the human to mimic postures, mechanical loads and performance of the human in a simulated environment to develop and improve the design of products and work spaces.
It’s best to integrate ergonomics into the planning, design and validation stages of your product lifecycle, and into the development of new equipment, workstations and processes from the start. Both Jack and Process Simulate Human software products enable you to size your human models to match worker populations and tests designs for multiple additional factors.
An effective ergonomics improvement process requires a continuous improvement framework. Doing so will improve labor productivity, lower employee turnover rates, and reduce cost related to absenteeism and injuries. A case study of a world class ergonomic program measured the following dramatic results.
A 78% reduction in worker’s compensation costs
A 15% increase in productivity
Higher employee morale and better safety culture
To start ergonomics as a continuous improvement process, use the simple six-step process as your roadmap.
- Identify list of jobs for analysis
- Conduct ergonomic analysis
- Prioritize ergonomic opportunity list
- Determine best solution
- Implement solution
- Evaluate effectiveness of ergonomic improvement
- Ability to generate Anthropometrically & Biomechanically accurate human figures
- Ability to simulate static and real-time fatigue, lower back analysis, etc.
- Ability to analyze manual tasks with respect to NIOSH, OWAS, RULA standards
- Provides fast human manipulation controls
- Provides extensive motion tracking support
- Provides force-influenced posture predictions
- Ability to track Vision and Reach envelopes
PMC’s Ergonomics Improvement Services
- PMC’s Ergonomics Management System Program consists of turn-key ergonomics services and personal-certification.
- Turn-key ergonomics concept utilizes ergonomic simulation tools (Jack and Process Simulate Human software) that allow organizations to analyze the effect of a work-cell, a task, or a product on persons.
- In summary, PMC’s ergonomics services include job hazard analysis, risk assessment, and ergonomics program establishment, development, & sustainability.
- PMC also offers ergonomics program training courses.
Get to know more of our services
Facility Layout and Material flow Optimization is the evaluation of multiple layout scenarios to design the optimum layout that reduces material handling costs, improves throughput, and minimizes space requirements.
Scheduling is advance planning of the time, location, order and resources required to complete an operation or work. Scheduling helps in affirming and maintaining any improvement efforts as well as running the system efficiently.
A number of Industrial Engineering methodologies fall under the umbrella of Work Measurement. These include MODAPTS, Time Study, and Predetermined Motion Time System (PMTS).